Thursday, November 1, 2012

In Honor of my 25th Birthday



When I was a kid, 25 was that age that I decided constituted being a real adult. When I thought about being 25, I thought I would have a job. I thought my job might be living among and studying  a pack of lions, inspired by my hero Jane Goodall. I thought I would have traveled the whole world. I thought I would at least have my own horse.  But I thought, in the very basic way that an eight year old can fully interpret their vision of the future, that this would be the age where I was done with the mystifying kid question: What will I be when I grow up? and know in which direction my life was headed, and it would be headed somewhere fantastic. Tomorrow, I will be twenty five. I do not have a real job. I do not own a horse.  The closest I have ever come to infiltrating and gaining the trust of a lion pride was last year when I lived with three housecats. I still have to call my dad to ask how to do things like make a dentist appointment or ask if my house has a pilot light. I am not the twenty five year old that eight year old Lucy imagined, and sometimes I wonder if somewhere she’s watching me, licking the purple Fun Dip stains off her fingers, and shaking her head in disappointment.
There’s a wildness that we all have in childhood that we think we will never lose. We imagine ourselves as adults with this same wildness, because we can’t imagine that it will ever fade. We think that if only we weren’t bonded by bedtime, held hostage by our miniature stature and our limited allowance, that we would be doing better than the adults that we know. We wouldn’t be wasting our time raising families or having jobs or doing anything other than booking plane tickets to Africa to crouch in the grasses of the Serengeti and watch the lionesses lick clean their kill. The worse part about being in our twenties, when we finally get there, is that we remember this feeling with such sharpness. We haven’t forgotten how it feels to not know that this improbable. That we need to pay bills and we need to fill out job applications and the money in our bank accounts is barely enough for a ticket to visit our long distance boyfriends in Michigan, much less a transcontinental plane ride. We feel a constant disappointment that we got the gift of adulthood we always wanted, but we are using our freedom of bedtime to go to bed at ten to wake up for our job at nine. We are using our money to buy gym memberships to melt away the Halloween candy we now feel guilty about consuming. And this side of me, now at 25, the age at which I should be ready to be an adult, is not ready to let go of being wild.
 But there’s another side that eight year old Lucy could not have comprehended. Every day, I work. I work on my writing, my teaching, my lesson planning. I go to dinner with my friends. I tell my boyfriend that I love him and he tells me back. I make a pot of turkey chili. I keep my cat alive. These things are not wild. But as much as eight year old Lucy might roll her eyes, I think it’s actually okay. At 25, I can see the satisfaction adults get in working hard, no matter what it is that they are working towards. I can see why someone might want to get married and have a house and job instead of a pet lion. I don’t know how to change my oil, but I’m willing to learn.
I still hope that one day I’ll travel the world or see a lion somewhere outside of a zoo, or do a million things I couldn’t even imagine when I was eight. But I guess that’s the difference between being eight and thinking about being 25 and actually being 25, I can know that it’s not a milestone, just an age, the same way I turned nine, the same way I will turn 45. Nothing is beginning or ending, there are no requirements. Nobody is welcoming me into adulthood with a beer and a husband and a sudden understanding about why Doonesbury is a funny comic strip. I may not have done everything yet, but I have time. And for now, no matter what eight year old Lucy has to say about it, finishing an essay and taking a nap with a purring housecat is just as satisfying as tracking a lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment